Approximately 50 million students are currently enrolled in America’s elementary and secondary schools (grades pre–K to 12).
SHAPE America and NJAHPERD want to ensure that by the time today’s youngest students graduate from high school in 2029, all of America’s children are empowered to lead healthy and active lives through effective health and physical education programs. We call this commitment
50 MILLION STRONG by 2029.
Moving ideas into action 50 Million Strong is a call to action for all of America’s health and physical educators to unite and focus on a common purpose — getting all of the nation’s children physically active, enthusiastic and committed to making healthy lifestyle choices.Find out more
How America’s Physical Educators Can Succeed with 50 Million Strong by 2029
Downloadable informational brochure.
Make the commitment and register your school! Click on the logo below!
Active Schools initiative is to help schools provide a comprehensive school physical activity program with quality physical education as the foundation so that youth will develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence to be physically active for a lifetime.
Be a Champion for your students and join the MOVEment! Ensure that your school provides a comprehensive school physical activity program with quality physical education as the foundation.
Register now as an Active School and receive periodic updates about this important initiative.
The Presidential Youth Fitness Program will provide you with access to a robust selection of resources that will help students engage in their own health and fitness, including a health-related assessment(FitnessGram), companion educational and motivational tools, training materials and awards. Funding is available for FitnessGram through NJAHPERD.
PYFP archived webinars
Physical Education & Sport Week Daily Activities for the Week
Ideas to promote a LMAS!
- Toolbox for teachers & coaches
- Morning announcements; kids exercise in homerooms
- Create an exercise video – show during homeroom; have teachers exercise with the students
- Exercise breaks during the school day
- Use Jammin’ Minute for elementary schools; free to register
- Use Jam Blast for MS/HS; free to register
- Contact a University near your school district to come over and teach after school activities
- Set up an empty classroom with exercise equipment
- Set up Biggest Loser programs for teachers
- Start a dance club, fitness club, yoga or walking program for teachers
- Analyze the food in the cafeteria
- Staff created “soup days” once per month; teachers would provide the recipe for staff as well as soup in the teachers room
- Family Wellness Night; cooperative activities, games, Fitnessgram stations
- Health Fairs for students and parents
- Healthy Food tasting; provided by Whole Foods
- Fun Fit Night; Zumba, Karate, Boot camp, Yoga
- 20 Wellness stations for families
- Run Jump Throw event for your school or community
- Energy Balance 101
- Health & Wellness Day with area hospital
- Start a wellness committee
- Fitness Field Day; Rita’s will donate fat free ice cream
- Have students in a classroom sit on stability balls instead of chairs
- Physical Education & Sport Week; whole school activities
- Got Milk commercials
- Taste test healthy snacks
- Start a Healthy Snack Shack after school; proceeds donated
Sustainable Jersey for Schools is a voluntary certification program for New Jersey public schools that want to go green, conserve resources and take steps to create a brighter future, one school at a time. NJAHPERD leadership served on the Physical Activity Task Force and provided guidance.
Members are encouraged to get involved in the process, so that your school is recognized!
Areas you may have expertise in include....
FOOD & NUTRITION
Healthy Food Choices
Promote Locally Grown Foods
Safe Routes to School District Policy
School Travel Plan for walking & biking
Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety
Promotion Initiatives Safe Driving Awareness Programs for High School Students
STUDENT & STAFF WELLNESS
School Wellness Council*
School Health Assessment Policies to Promote Physical Activity
Programs to Promote Activity
Staff Wellness Program
CDC School Wellness Policies