Active Schools initiative is to help schools provide a comprehensive school physical activity program with quality physical education as the foundation so that youth will develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence to be physically active for a lifetime.
Be a Champion for your students and join the MOVEment! Ensure that your school provides a comprehensive school physical activity program with quality physical education as the foundation.
Register now as an Active School and receive periodic updates about this important initiative.
The Presidential Youth Fitness Program will provide you with access to a robust selection of resources that will help students engage in their own health and fitness, including a health-related assessment(FitnessGram), companion educational and motivational tools, training materials and awards. Funding is available for FitnessGram through NJAHPERD.
PYFP archived webinars
Physical Education & Sport Week Daily Activities for the Week
Ideas to promote a LMAS!
- Toolbox for teachers & coaches
- Morning announcements; kids exercise in homerooms
- Create an exercise video – show during homeroom; have teachers exercise with the students
- Exercise breaks during the school day
- Use Jammin’ Minute for elementary schools; free to register
- Use Jam Blast for MS/HS; free to register
- Contact a University near your school district to come over and teach after school activities
- Set up an empty classroom with exercise equipment
- Set up Biggest Loser programs for teachers
- Start a dance club, fitness club, yoga or walking program for teachers
- Analyze the food in the cafeteria
- Staff created “soup days” once per month; teachers would provide the recipe for staff as well as soup in the teachers room
- Family Wellness Night; cooperative activities, games, Fitnessgram stations
- Health Fairs for students and parents
- Healthy Food tasting; provided by Whole Foods
- Fun Fit Night; Zumba, Karate, Boot camp, Yoga
- 20 Wellness stations for families
- Run Jump Throw event for your school or community
- Energy Balance 101
- Health & Wellness Day with area hospital
- Start a wellness committee
- Fitness Field Day; Rita’s will donate fat free ice cream
- Have students in a classroom sit on stability balls instead of chairs
- Physical Education & Sport Week; whole school activities
- Got Milk commercials
- Taste test healthy snacks
- Start a Healthy Snack Shack after school; proceeds donated